People who know me personally know I put my kids to bed at 7pm every night, at the latest 7:30. While most people may think this is a bit early, yes there is still daylight outside, I have to do it. I don't budge!
1. Regardless of the time they got to bed my kids are awake by 6:30am the next day. I've been nice and let them stay up until 9 or 10 at times. They still were awake by 6:30am and by noon they were cranky and irritable due to the lack of sleep from the previous night.
2. By the end of the night I am exhausted and am in dire need of "me time". If I want to blog, watch a show, eat some snacks, this is when I do it! Also when Luis is not working this is when we spend quality time together.
3. Other than Josiah, the boys don't nap anymore. That means that the recommended amount of sleep for the boys needs to get met solely at night. View sleep chart here.
4. If I allow them to stay up late in the summer, winter break or any other break from school- it's twice as hard for Abram to get back to his routine once school begins. He will lay there for hours on end tossing and turning.
5. Routine is very important in the development of children. It is said that a regular bedtime routine helps children develop a good sense of security and self discipline. I notice if routine changes in my house (normally if we are adjusting to Luis' shift change), the kids get really fussy. They cry a lot before bed, get scared, need me to help them more with things they normally do on their own and even wake up in the middle of the night, more than once.
Do you have a routine with your kids? Does it work well?
Share in the comments below! Thanks for reading.